- Dengue is a viral fever transmitted by the bite of Aedes aegypti mosquito.
- Dengue virus has 4 serotypes. Serotypes 1,2 are common in India and can cause severe infection.
- A person can get infected with one or more serotypes in his/her lifetime.
- Secondary dengue infection is more severe compared to primary dengue and leads to complications such as bleeding, shock etc .
Signs and symptoms of dengue fever : Symptoms usually last for 2-7 days. Incubation period : 4-10 days.
Warning signs of dengue :
- Clinical : Abdominal pain or tenderness, persistent vomiting, fluid accumulation, mucosal bleed, lethargy, restlessness, liver enlargement.
- Laboratory : Increase in hematocrit, rapid decrease in platelet count.
Prevention of dengue :